Skip to main content

Featured

Getting acne....Q&A............(part 3 of 5)

I’ve started getting acne spots. How long do they last? This depends on what type of spots they are and, even then, it can be very difficult to predict what will happen. Some spots will appear and then disappear during the course of a day but others will evolve more gradually through the various stages. Comedones can be very persistent if they don’t get inflamed. Mildly inflamed spots will last 5–10 days before settling down, but can leave a flat red mark (macule) for several weeks. Nodules and cysts may last for weeks or months unless you get some treatment. What is the difference between a whitehead and a yellow- head spot? These two common terms describe quite different types of spot. A whitehead is a closed comedone where the pore is blocked and not open to the air. There is no inflammation (redness). A yellow- head suggests a spot with pus in it. The medical term is a ‘pustule’. Whiteheads may become yellowheads if the blocked pore becomes infected. My daughter is only 9 but she seems

Checking under the hood

Emily, a 33-year-old stockbroker, came to my office. She told me that she had very
mild acne as a teenager that cleared up by the time she was 19, but returned out of
nowhere. Since then, she’d noticed increasing numbers of red pimples on her chin
that tended to appear regularly a few days before her period and lasted only for a
few days. Some of the bumps seemed to come from under her skin and many of
these remained in place for a long time.
When I looked at her face, I noted that she had a few, very subtle reddish blotches
on her chin, but otherwise had an almost perfectly clear complexion. Then she said,
“Oh, you should have seen my face two weeks ago when I made this appointment!
I can’t believe it. It’s just like when I brought my car in to have the auto mechanic
check out a loud squealing noise and — of course — it didn’t squeak or even squeal
when he test drove it!”
Based upon her history, I concluded that she had typical adult-onset acne that has
its ups and downs, and I just happened to be seeing her on an up day. I also sug-
gested that she might need a new fan belt for her car.
I then prescribed a prescription gel for her to apply to her skin. I suggested that she
apply it daily and I explained that it might help to break her adult-onset acne cycle.
She scheduled a return appointment. As it turned out, she canceled the return visit,
and several months later, she sent me the following note: “Thanks! My face is pretty
clear now, but my car still squeals.” I guess I’ll stick with dermatology!

Comments

Popular Posts