Skip to main content

Featured

Getting acne....Q&A............(part 3 of 5)

I’ve started getting acne spots. How long do they last? This depends on what type of spots they are and, even then, it can be very difficult to predict what will happen. Some spots will appear and then disappear during the course of a day but others will evolve more gradually through the various stages. Comedones can be very persistent if they don’t get inflamed. Mildly inflamed spots will last 5–10 days before settling down, but can leave a flat red mark (macule) for several weeks. Nodules and cysts may last for weeks or months unless you get some treatment. What is the difference between a whitehead and a yellow- head spot? These two common terms describe quite different types of spot. A whitehead is a closed comedone where the pore is blocked and not open to the air. There is no inflammation (redness). A yellow- head suggests a spot with pus in it. The medical term is a ‘pustule’. Whiteheads may become yellowheads if the blocked pore becomes infected. My daughter is only 9 but she seems

How do these beliefs make people feel: skin disease type and stigma

The extent to which a patient will feel stigmatised will often depend on the nature
of the skin condition and the beliefs associated with it. Social stigma refers to the
process by which a person’s behaviour or appearance is considered to be deviant
by others and leads to prejudicial thoughts, utterances or behaviours. Dani, a
48-year-old mother of two with vitiligo describes her experience of stigma with a
group of strangers.
Reactions of strangers
“I was at the cosmetics counter in a large department store when I noticed
two teenage girls looking at me and laughing. They were being really rude
and although I don’t usually say anything ... I mean I don’t usually react
to rude remarks, I asked them what their problem was. One of them then
looked at me in disgust and said, ‘We don’t have a problem but you do
because no matter how much make-up you buy you are still going to look
like a freak’. I was so shocked and distressed by what they had said that I
ran out of the shop in tears.”
Although it deals with facial disfigurement that is not skin disease, this example
highlights how the anonymity that comes with being a stranger leads to peo-
ple casting aside basic social norms, such as politeness and respect for others’
feelings. It is common for people with visible skin conditions to be subjected
to socially stigmatising reactions from strangers rather than from people with
whom they are likely to have more consistent contact. The case described
above may seem extreme. However, even in cases where there is no inten-
tion to hurt or be rude, the effects of stigma are no less hurtful, though the
rejection may be more subtle. Anthony, a 21-year-old acne sufferer, describes
his experience:
“Me and some friends, there was about five of us, we were going to a
birthday party being held at the house of one of my closest friend’s cousins.
I had never met this cousin before but my friend said that he had told him
to bring whoever he wanted to the party. When we arrived, a pretty young
woman opened the door and my friend started to introduce all of us. She
greeted everybody with a warm smile and a kiss on the cheek, but when it
was my turn to be introduced she just smiled politely and shook my hand. I
felt that I repulsed her.”

Comments

Popular Posts